Healthcare professionals may refer any cancer patient or caregiver to PearlPoint for a nutrition consultation regardless of cancer type, location, or treatment facility. Consultations are
- One-on-one with a registered dietitian who has expertise in oncology nutrition
- Conducted by phone or email at a scheduled date and time.
What is included in a nutrition consultation?
A consult may include any combination of the following:
- Strategies to improve nutrition and manage side effects
- Tips for meal planning and grocery shopping
- Answers to questions about nutrition
- Guidance about how to care for a loved one during cancer treatment
- Questions for the patient to ask his/her healthcare team
- Additional online and local nutrition resources.
What is NOT included in a nutrition consultation?
The nutrition consultations are intended for general educational purposes. Due to the nature of the consults, some services are not available.
- Recommendations for dietary supplements and herbal preparations
- Prescription diet orders or restrictive diets
- Nutrition therapy by tube or IV
- Free meal delivery
PearlPoint Nutrition Services is not able to assist patients with urgent medical needs that require immediate attention. Examples of situations that require immediate attention include the following:
- Inability to keep down food, fluid and/or medications taken orally
- Uncontrolled diarrhea or diarrhea with fever, blood or pain
- Extreme weight loss requiring medical nutrition therapy
- Nutrition therapy by tube or IV.
Once the patient’s immediate need is resolved, PearlPoint Nutrition Services can discuss strategies with your patient to help avoid crisis situations in the future and to improve overall nutrition.
To help a patient find a dietitian in his/her area for medical nutrition therapy, use the Find an Expert tool provided by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) to search for RDNs by zip code.
How do I refer a patient for a PearlPoint Nutrition Consultation?
To refer a patient or caregiver, please fill out our online referral form. Once PearlPoint receives your referral, we will reach out to the patient or caregiver to schedule a nutrition consultation.