Chili and cold weather go hand in hand. It’s the perfect dish to serve at a football game or tailgate. This veggie chili is a delicious, hearty option. Give it a try this season.
- 1 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded, deribbed, and minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground chili powder
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 (14½-oz.) can no-salt added diced tomatoes in juice
- 1½ Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish (optional)
Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onions, sweet pepper, garlic and jalapeño pepper and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 cup water, then beans and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, scallions and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings (5 cups).
Per serving: 214 calories, 5 g total fat <1 g saturated fat), 35 g carbohydrate, 11 g protein, 12 g dietary fiber, 367 mg sodium.
Recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research.