You may have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Regardless of where you are during your cancer journey, breakfast is the key to starting your day off right. Food is fuel for your body, so eating a great breakfast in the morning will help give you energy for your day. Having morning food can help you manage some side effects too. Having breakfast can decrease the onset of nausea, unwanted weight loss, or reflux that may come after eating a big lunch. People who eat breakfast are more successful at managing their body weight. If traditional morning food doesn’t appeal to you, choose a favorite sandwich or leftovers for breakfast.Try to include foods from at least 3 food groups to maximize your nutritional value.
Here are a few ideas to start your day with a healthy breakfast:
- Scramble an egg to eat with whole wheat toast and a glass of low-fat milk. Add some grapes on the side.
- Mix a whole grain cereal with low-fat milk and a banana.
- Make oatmeal with low-fat milk instead of water. Mix in blueberries, cinnamon, and walnuts.
- Top whole grain toaster waffles with strawberries and reduced fat cream cheese.
- Mix a low-fat yogurt with peaches and raisins. Top with low-fat granola.
- Try a whole grain muffin paired with low-fat milk and pineapple. *Tip: Look in your grocery store for quick and easy whole grain muffin mixes.
- Pair whole grain grits with a fresh orange and a hardboiled egg.
- Make a berry smoothie by blending low-fat or non-fat yogurt, a splash of low-fat milk, ice, strawberries, and blueberries.
- Spread peanut butter on a toasted whole-wheat bagel topped with sliced bananas.
- Make a breakfast sandwich with a whole wheat English muffin, egg, and slice of cheese. Pair with an apple.