During cancer treatment, certain drugs can make it difficult for patients to eat and drink cold foods, smoothies or milk shakes. Here are a few ideas to make a warm, savory smoothie-soup combination to ensure you are getting enough protein, calories and healthful nutrients during your treatment.
In your blender, place
- ½ cup instant non-fat dried milk powder (12gm Protein)
- 2 cups soy milk or cow’s milk or other lactose-free milk* (16gm protein)
- 2-3 vegetables of your choosing such as
- 1 cup cooked carrots
- 1/4 cup cooked cauliflower
- 1/4 cup cooked broccoli
- 1/2 cup pureed white beans
- 1/4 cup butternut squash
- Seasonings such as onion powder, turmeric and cinnamon
One “Smoupie” has approximately 28 grams Protein and 360 calories before adding veggies.
* If you want to use chicken or vegetable broth instead of milk, add in 1 cup of dried milk powder. This version will have less calories
Source: Ally Gottfried RD, Community Cancer Center, Roseburg, OR