What’s your stand on New Year’s resolutions— hot or cold, for or against, or just tired of trying? This year, you may want to take a fresh look at resolutions.
January is one of the busiest times of the year. Adding a huge nutritional makeover to the mix may set you up for failure with your annual resolution. Instead, you may want to take time to reflect on the good parts of last year and make small steps toward a more fulfilling new year.
How can you make a successful resolution to change your health and nutrition habits? Ask yourself these questions to get started:
- How do you want your life to be different? Be specific.
- How can this change benefit your health, immunity, strength, personal life and/or appearance?
- What could you modify in your routines and food choices to make that difference happen? For example:
- Cook at home two more times each week.
- Take sliced vegetables and fruit to work with you 3 times per week.
- Swap fried chicken for a healthier roasted chicken.
- Walk 20 minutes daily 5 days per week.
- Pick a food or physical activity choice that could help your life be what you desire.
- Which small step can you take each month to fit a new food choice or routine into your lifestyle? Be realistic and creative. If you can’t make your new habit fit easily into your lifestyle, then the habit will not be long-term.
New food trends may make eating healthier in 2019 easier. The Nutrition Facts label on food products at grocery stores is getting a makeover. These revisions will offer helpful information like more realistic serving sizes, the daily value percentage of Vitamin D, calcium, iron and potassium, the amount of added sugars, and an explanation of the “% Daily Value .” The improved label may make it easier for you to make healthy food choices.
Meal delivery systems continue to be popular. Many grocery stores and online retailers now offer delivery too. You can have fresh foods delivered right to your doorstep.
For cancer survivors, healthy food and fitness choices are the keys to supporting your strength, immune function, healthy body weight and improved mood. Make 2019 the year that you makeover your lifestyle choices for the best survivorship you can achieve.