Pump up the flavor with this Mexican-inspired soup. The jalapenos add a subtle heat that complements the lime and avocado. The chicken offers protein, and the avocado is a healthy fat. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C and B. If you’re feeling festive, top with tortilla chips for a crunch.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 3 medium limes, 2 cut in half, 1 cut into 6 wedges for garnish
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, rinsed, chopped
- 1 medium avocado, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
In soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, celery, jalapeño and garlic for 6 minutes or until tender. Add whole chicken breast, corn, tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, oregano and cumin to pot. Stir to mix ingredients. Over high heat bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 55 minutes.
Remove chicken breast to large platter and shred using two folks. Return chicken to soup.
Over strainer to catch seeds, squeeze juice of 2 limes into soup. Add cilantro and gently stir. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top each bowl with avocado, garnish with lime wedge and serve.
Makes 6 servings (about 2 cups per serving). Per serving: 280 calories, 12 g total fat (2.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 20 g carbohydrate, 26 g protein, 5 g dietary fiber, 450 mg sodium, 6 g sugar, 0 g added sugar.
Recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research.