This easy and delicious breakfast wrap is loaded with protein and antioxidant rich red peppers. You can buy roasted red peppers in the tomato and olive section of your grocery store.
- 1 large roasted red pepper – sliced into thin strips
- 1 large egg + white of another egg
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1 whole-wheat wrap or tortilla
1. In bowl, whisk 1 egg plus egg white until combined. Coat 8 inch skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add egg, tilting to coat bottom of pan, and cook until egg is set, 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese and parsley, and cook until surface of omelet looks dull, 2-3 minutes. Slide flat omelet onto plate and set aside.
2. In another small bowl, combine ricotta and hot sauce. Blot roasted pepper dry using paper towel, and cut pepper into very thin strips.
3. To assemble wrap, spread ricotta mixture over wrap or tortilla leaving 1/2-inch uncovered around edges. Slide omelet onto wrap, positioning it near one end., Arrange pepper strips horizontally on top of egg, and starting at end near you, tightly roll up wrapper. Cut rolled wrap diagonally into 3 pieces and serve immediately.
Per serving: 330 calories, 11 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 g carbohydrate,
20 g protein, 6 g dietary fiber, 420 mg sodium.
Recipe from the American Institute for Cancer Research.